DEPUTY FIRE CHIEF (Timmins Fire Department) (Competition No.: FIRE-2022-02)
Temps plein • Timmins Région
The Corporation of the City of Timmins is accepting applications for the position of Deputy Fire Chief.
The City of Timmins, population 41,788 (2016 Census), is centrally located in Northeastern Ontario and is recognized as a regional hub for shopping, culture commerce, health and education. In addition to offering modern amenities such as a regional hospital, superior telecommunications infrastructure and an airport that supports both scheduled daily flights and private carriers, a vast area of rugged wilderness is available minutes from the city’s residential areas. Over 500 lakes, rivers and streams are accessible by road, or through a network of ATV or snowmobile trails, all within city limits.
The Timmins Fire Department is a progressive composite department which comprises of one (1) Composite Fire Station which includes a suppression, prevention and training division as well as five (5) Volunteer Fire Stations.
If you are an energetic, progressive and safety oriented individual, then this position will be of interest to you!
Reporting to the Fire Chief, and members of the Fire Department Management Team, you will lead a portfolio responsible for excellence in operations. Your role will include:
• Provide support to the Fire Chief in preparation of department budget and tender specifications
• Act as the City of Timmins Alternate Community Emergency Management Coordinator
• Serve as a member on various boards and committees
• In coordination with the Fire Chief, fulfill regular on-call requirements
• Under the direction of the Fire Chief, the Deputy Fire Chief will be responsible for the following divisions: Fire Suppression at five (5) Volunteer Fire Stations
• Ensure safety requirements are met according to the OH&S Act
• Handle personnel matters including discipline, conduct and general behavior
• Perform a variety of technical, administrative and supervisory work in planning, organizing, directing and implementing fire prevention, education and suppression services to prevent or minimize the loss of life and property
• Develop, implement and maintain policies and procedures
• Supervise the maintenance of buildings, apparatus, equipment and property of the Fire Department
We invite candidates who can demonstrate the following qualifications:
• Graduate of a Post-Secondary Program in Public Administration, Business Administration or equivalent
• Certified as NFPA 1021, Fire Officer Level III; or must obtain certification within a year from date of hire
• A minimum of 15 years progressive experience in fire and rescue services, including five (5) years as a senior management level
• Strong understanding and interpretation of all applicable legislation and codes including Ontario Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Fire Service Section 21, NFPA, Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, City of Timmins Bylaws, as well as other pertinent acts and codes
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, planning, critical thinking, problem solving and financial skills
• Must have Incident Management System Training (ICS or IMS 300)
• Strong conflict resolution skills with proven experience resolving complex and sensitive issues
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to write reports and provide presentations to various audiences
• Good computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Suite and Fire Service software
• Valid DZ driver’s license complete with an acceptable driver’s abstract
• Clear and current Criminal Record Check
• Bilingualism is an asset
• Fire Ground Command training is a requirement for this position
• Chief Fire Officer (CFO) designation is an asset
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination mandatory.
NOTE: Testing can be used to evaluate candidates applying for the position.
SALARY LEVEL 112A: $123,523 - $138,338 (2021)
All applications must be received in the Human Resources Department by 4:00 pm on the closing date of January 28, 2022.
VIA FAX: 705-360-2685
VIA EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 705-360-2628 www.timmins.ca
Although we may have your application on file, you must re-apply for this specific competition.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. The City of Timmins is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code. The City of Timmins will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. Personal information provided is collected under the authority of The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.